Sunday, May 5, 2013

Abattoir in Anderlecht


Hello!

Today I am here with a great experience from a local market in Anderlecht (part of Brussels) called Abattoir. Abattoir is French for a slaughterhouse but you can definitely find almost everything on this market. First of all, it's HUGE. You can spend a whole day there and still not see everything what it offers. I absolutely love this place. It's not only mixture of food and other commodities but also a mixture of nations, races, colors, smells and sounds. 
                                                                          
I knew that I would definitely find what I was looking for but I didn't expect to be so overwhelmed by it. I headed especially for vegetable and fruit, spices and meat (so only the edible stuff) but I already know that I have to go back soon to have a proper look at the flea market that is a big part of Abattoir. 

When you go through the vegetable and fruit market you don't even know where to stop first. Everything is so fresh and it looks like it was set up for a magazine photo shoot. The sellers are competing among each other over who is going to catch another costumer so they are more than happy and willing to offer you a free taste of everything they sell. So after a half an hour in this area you can be quite full. :-)




Of course, Abattoir would be nothing without the actual abattoir (slaughterhouse) where you can find various kinds of meat. The butchers are cutting the meat right in front of you and they are always ready to fulfill your demands. 
As I mentioned before the big part of the market is the flea market. You can find real treasures here and it's the right place for bargaining. Unfortunately I didn't have the time for it so my next visit to Abattoir will be definitely this area. 
Another part of this wonderful place, and it shouldn't be confused with the flea market, is the non-food market. There you can find new things for a very good price. I am talking about shoes, handbags, clothes, perfumes, jewelry, household goods and a lot of other stuff. The quality is probably not the best in the whole wide world but, hey, who cares when it is so cheap, right?!

Even though most of the sellers speak French, Dutch and English if you want to make successful bargain at the market you should speak French and especially be bold, loud and quick. I have to be honest I have none of these assets so I took a friend of mine to do the bargaining for me and she was perfect. Thank you so much, the sweetest Fao.

Another thing you should be prepared for is the amount of people that is there. If you are not fond of overcrowded places then this might not be the right place for you but on the other hand I feel it belongs to it and it would be less experience without all the people there. Just mind your belongings and watch over your children! 


Because Abattoir is situated close to the neighborhood with a strong foreign community (mostly African) then you can expect an international experience there. And that is what I love the most about this place. I am always so happy when I see a place where color of the skin, language, religion and the country of origin doesn't matter at all or I should better say it matters so much but only in a good way. Even though it's the business that brings all those people together, the thing that matters the most is that it's possible and nobody wonders why.

Abattoir is also a great place for meeting friends; here are only a few of mine and my husband (on the left)

So if you are looking for an idea where to spend your next weekend (either as a customer or only as an observer) and you want to experience something special then Abattoir in Anderlecht (Brussels) is definitely the right place. Just enjoy!

xoxo

Your Funmilayo





No comments:

Post a Comment